    SubjectRe: emu10k1 - interrupt storm?
    Rui Sousa <> writes:

    > On 9 Dec 2001, Zlatko Calusic wrote:
    > The emu10k1 only generates interrupts when playing pcm sound.
    > The interrupt rate depends on the "fragment" size and is usually
    > smaller than ~1000interrupts/s (this is 256bytes fragment 48Khz sample
    > rate, 16bit, stereo).
    > Is it possible there is another device producing these interrupts?
    > On-board devices (usb, ...) that you don't use?
    > Does this happen with this kernel only?

    Hm, looks like it is really emu10k1. But...

    When I booted into single user mode, the kernel wasn't reporting
    interrupts. Then I started Gnome, and there they were. Finally I found
    that killing/starting esd changes things. Whenever esd was up,
    interrupts were generated, when I killed it interrupts would stop.

    Then I straced esd daemon, just to find it was blocked on select().

    {atlas} [~]# strace -p 705
    select(12, [4 6 7 8 9 10 11], NULL, NULL, NULL

    Strange, if esd is not doing any work (just sleeping) who generates
    interrupts then?

    Also, we don't know now is it the driver to blame, or silly esd daemon.

    > Which functions do you see listed? If it's only "emu10k1_interrupt()"
    > then the interrupt was not generated by the emu10k1.

    Top 5 entries in the kernel profile:

    475 __rdtsc_delay 16.9643
    309 handle_IRQ_event 2.4919
    178 do_softirq 0.8725
    148 emu10k1_waveout_bh 0.7872
    135 emu10k1_interrupt 0.6490

    As time goes by, the numbers get bigger (that is only 15min after

    Maybe it's time to enable debug option in the driver?

    Sorry for late answer, I got busy yesterday...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.890 / U:37.752 seconds]