SubjectRe: Configure.help 2.4.17 update patch
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Steven Cole <elenstev@mesatop.com>:
> > I suggest that Marcelo go ahead and apply Eric's patch, with the two
> > meaningless rejects, and let the resulting Configure.help be the new
> > baseline for the 2.4.x series, and fork Configure.help for the 2.4.x
> > and 2.5.x series, since we have different sets of patches coming in
> > and it is just not practical (or reasonable) to try to fit the same
> > Configure.help file to both the stable and development series.
>
> I specifically do *not* want to fork Configure.help.
>
> Reason: it's going to go away anyway when CML2 drops in, which (unless
> Linus has changed his mind) is scheduled for sometime in 2.5.1-xxx. At
> that point it will be functionally replaced by the contents of the
> master symbols.cml file, which will have been mechanically derived
> from it.

I hope that in the excitement of re-re-inventing the build process no one
has lost sight of the Configure.help file being very useful with the
database tools `more' and `grep.' Having to run a configure to get access
to that info is a step backwards.

It would be nice if the information gave a link between options and module
names as well, poking through Makefiles and source code to see how it's
done is educational, but a real waste of time.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc