SubjectRe: how to debug a deadlock'ed kernel?
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:57:52 -0600
Brian Horton <go_gators@mail.com> wrote:

> Anyone got any good tips on how to debug a SMP system that is locked up
> in a deadlock situation in the kernel? I'm working on a kernel module,
> and after some number of hours of stress testing, the box locks up. None
> of the sysrq options show anything on the display, though the reBoot
> option does reboot the system. RedHat 6.2 and its 2.2.14 kernel. Doesn't
> hang for me on 2.4, so I need to debug it here...
>
> Any hints?

Try using a serial console (activate it in your kernel config and hook up
another PC to the serial port - if it's oopsing, you should see the oops over
the serial line.)
Also, I believe you can use kdb via serial as well (although I've never tried).

Bruce

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.054 / U:3.216 seconds]