    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    > Recently, our correspondent from Wales wrote:
    > ... the changes have been done and
    > tested one at a time as they are merged. Real engineering process is the
    > only way to get this sort of thing working well.

    Which doesn't conflict. Engineering does not require science. Science helps
    a lot but people built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why
    cement works.

    > All the alchemists ever managed to create were cases of mercury
    > poisoning.

    and chemistry, eventually. You take it as far more demeaning than its meant.

    But right now given two chunks of code, I find out what happens by putting
    them together not by formal methods. In the case of alchemy v chemistry the
    chemists know whether it will probably go bang before they try it (and the
    chemical engineers still duck anyway)

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:29.729 / U:0.008 seconds]