    SubjectRe: speed difference between using hard-linked and modular drives?
    > Oh no, not this again...
    >
    > It _IS_ a big deal. Fetching _ONE_ hash chain cache line
    > is always going to be cheaper than fetching _FIVE_ to _TEN_
    > page struct cache lines while walking the list.

    Big picture time. What costs more - the odd five cache line hit or swapping
    200Kbytes/second on and off disk ? - thats obviously workload dependant.

    Perhaps at some point we need to accept there is a memory/speed tradeoff
    throughout the kernel and we need a CONFIG option for it - especially for
    the handheld world. I don't want to do lots of I/O on an ipaq, I don't need
    big tcp hashes, and I'd rather take a small performance hit.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:6.760 / U:0.944 seconds]