SubjectRe: serial console slow
Date
Followup to:  <20011109102140.A29288@elf.ucw.cz>
By author: root <root@Elf.ucw.cz>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hi!
>
> > I tried to boot my kernel using the serial console, using the
> > console=ttyS0,115200 (it does the same thing with 9600) ... it work great
> > until :
> >
> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 36k freed
> > serial console detected. Disabling virtual terminals.
> > console=/dev/ttyS0
> >
> > At this point the output of the serial line slow down dramaticly ... almost
> > to a halt ... I get 1 line every 30 seconds !!!
> >
> > why is this slow down occuring ? the part which is 100% kernel is going fast
> > and ok, but when it become console related ... it slows down ?
>
> Serial just got its control signals (it is now *userland* writing, and
> userland honours them), plus userland is probably opening/closing
> serial all the time. Bad.
> Pavel

I have had much better luck talking to /dev/console in userland.
IMNSHO this should *always* work; anything else is broken.
/dev/console currently *IS* broken to some degree, multi-console
hasn't worked properly for a long time, and you don't get job control
running of it because it isn't a tty, but I think it's a lot less
broken than things like the above...

(And dammit, I really would like to see console=tty0 console=ttyS0 to
actually give me both consoles -- in userland *and* in the kernel...)

-hpa
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>