    SubjectRe: speed difference between using hard-linked and modular drives?
    On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:04:44PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
    > From: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
    > Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 06:45:40 +0100
    >
    > Sounds like you need a better hash function instead.
    >
    > Andi, please think about the problem before jumping to conclusions.
    > N_PAGES / N_CHAINS > 1 in his situation. A better hash function
    > cannot help.

    I'm assuming that walking on average 5-10 pages on a lookup is not too big a
    deal, especially when you use prefetch for the list walk. It is a tradeoff
    between a big hash table thrashing your cache and a smaller hash table that
    can be cached but has on average >1 entries/buckets. At some point the the
    smaller hash table wins, assuming the hash function is evenly distributed.

    It would only get bad if the average chain length would become much bigger.

    Before jumping to real conclusions it would be interesting to gather
    some statistics on Anton's machine, but I suspect he just has an very
    unevenly populated table.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:5.738 / U:0.164 seconds]