SubjectRe: [patch] scheduler cache affinity improvement for 2.4 kernels

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> It sets the time ( in jiffies ) at which the process won't have any
> more scheduling advantage.

(sorry, it indeed makes sense, since sched_jtime is on the order of
jiffies.)

> > and your patch adds a scheduling advantage to processes with more cache
> > footprint, which is the completely opposite of what we want.
>
> It is exactly what we want indeed :

if this is what is done by your patch, then we do not want to do this.
My patch does not give an advantage of CPU-intensive processes over that
of eg. 'vi'. Perhaps i'm misreading your patch, it's full of branches that
does not make the meaning very clear, cpu_jtime and sched_jtime are not
explained. Is sched_jtime the timestamp of the last schedule of this
process? And is cpu_jtime the number of jiffies spent on this CPU? Is
cpu_jtime cleared if we switch to another CPU?

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.101 / U:0.344 seconds]