SubjectRe: Raid/Adaptec/SCSI errors, obvious explanation isn't
Justin,

We upgraded to 2.4.13-ac8 with aic7xxx 6.2.4. We also modified the kernel to
print the ASC and ASCQ codes. We've now seen the error only once:

SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 8 lun 0 return code = 8000002
Current sd08:51: sense key Hardware Error
Additional sense indicates Internal target failure
ASC=44 ASCQ= 0
I/O error: dev 08:51, sector 65536016

How can we find out what ASC=44 means?
Is this a retriable failure and is it recovering?
Would this error cause corruption? (we haven't seen any)

On a sideline:

Repeated attempts to produce the error have failed due to some other kernel
problem: two processes doing I/O to separate raid/ext3 volumes stop in "D" and
"S" states. The D state process is doing a simple copy from local ext2 to local
raid/ext3, the S state process is doing an rsync of a remote machine. The D
process can't be killed, but when the S process is killed the D process
continues. These process are otherwise unrelated (they aren't even doing I/O to
the same file-system).

Thanks,

JP