    SubjectRe: ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs
    Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 02:00:53PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have a switch "data=journal" that ext2 will choke on when I boot into an
    > > > ext2 only kernel.
    > > >
    > > > Is there another way to change the journaling mode besides modifying
    > > > /etc/fstab?
    > >
    > > Try adding `rootflags=data=journal' to your kernel boot
    > > commandline.
    > >
    > Oh, JOY!
    > adding that line to an ext2 only kernel will make it kernel panic when it
    > tries to mount root because it doesn't understand the option!

    It's dumb that an unrecognised option be a fatal error. Same
    problem with modules, actually. If you add a new module option
    to modules.conf and then go back to an older kernel your module
    won't load (here's where kaos pokes me with the rtfm stick).

    You can create a second entry in lilo.conf which refers to the same
    kernel image, but which doesn't have the rootflags option.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.023 / U:8.440 seconds]