SubjectRe: 2.4.14-pre8 stress testing
>  Magic Sysrq doesn't give me anything except the name of the
> corresponding command. The machine does not appear to have generated
> any oops output.

Was just one command name printed, or multiple commands?
The sysrq handlers are protected by a spinlock.
If multiple command names were printed it means that the sysrq handlers
themself returned, and that printk works.

I bet that the console loglevel got corrupted.
The sysrq handler should run with forced loglevel 7, like the print of
the command name.

Did you try SysRQ+7?

--
Manfred