    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] disk throughput

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > Ideally we would need to predict how many (and how large) files
    > will go into directory. We can't - we have no time machines. But
    > heuristics you've mentioned is clearly broken. It will end up with
    > mostly empty trees squeezed into a single cylinder group and when
    > they start to get populated that will be pure hell.

    Why? Squeezing into a single cylinder group is _good_. Fragmentation is
    bad.

    Where's the hell? You move over to the next cylinder group when you have
    90% filled one ("pick percentage randomly", and there are others that are
    clearly less used.

    > Benchmarks that try to stress that code tend to be something like
    > cvs co, tar x, yodda, yodda. _All_ of them deal only with "fast-growth"
    > pattern. And yes, FFS inode allocator sucks for that scenario - no
    > arguments here. Unfortunately, the variant you propose will suck for
    > slow-growth one and that is going to hurt a lot.

    I don't see any arguments for _why_ you claim it would hurt a lot.

    Fast-growth is what we should care about from a performance standpoint -
    slow growth can be sanely handled with slower-paced maintenance issues
    (including approaches like "defragment the disk once a month").

    By definition, "slow growth" is amenable to defragmentation. And by
    definition, fast growth isn't. And if we're talking about speedups on the
    order of _five times_ for something as simple as a "cvs co", I don't see
    where your "pure hell" comes in.

    A five-time slowdown on real work _is_ pure hell. You've not shown a
    credible argument that the slow-growth behaviour would ever result in a
    five-time slowdown for _anything_.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.028 / U:0.924 seconds]