    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]
    At 11:58 AM 11/5/01 -0800, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
    >Either too coarse or too fine, often enough, when we're talking about a
    >semi-independent module. Consider, though, a more legitimate non-bloating
    >use of a version field. Rather than try to support all versions, use it to
    >determine whether the two ends of the communication channel are
    >compatible, and fail gracefully because of the incompatible version. Tell
    >the user to update the app, or whatever.

    I have software out in the field that has been around for more than ten
    years. Some of it has been maintenance-free (other than the
    every-other-fortnight bug report that requires a fix) because the
    underlying operating system didn't change. Some of it has been a
    nightmare, requiring changes for each OS release and in some cases with
    each sub-release in order to keep the feature bloat from knocking out the
    functionality of the program.

    Unlike many of you, my client base doesn't upgrade on a whim. They stick
    with what works. That means all my software has to be able to run up and
    down the version tree, and I have a real problem maintaining parallel
    versions of code. In Linux, I have people on 2.0.34 still. I have people
    running some of my software on old versions of Ultrix on hardware that
    hasn't seen sales for over a decade. I just found out that software I
    wrote 20 years ago is STILL in use, and customers were inquiring if I was
    available to make changes!

    And then there is the problem of who pays for my time to make the app
    update. I don't charge people for updates as a rule -- that rule may have
    to change for my Linux apps if this ill-thought-out idea goes into the
    kernel. I expend enough effort trying to keep up with the crap coming out
    of Redmond and Cupertino.

    Apologies for the vent, but I just swatted another bug caused by an
    undocumented change in Windows 2000 that nailed one of my apps but good. I
    shudder to think what XP is going to look like when my clients start
    thinking of "upgrading" their hardware and have XP foisted on them...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.030 / U:85.768 seconds]