SubjectRe: [POLITICAL] Re: ECS k7s5a audio sound SiS 735 - 7012

Gérard Roudier wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Manfred Spraul wrote:
>

>>Jeff Garzik wrote:

>>>Unless you have a really strange board I haven't seen, NetGear FA311 are
>>>the natsemi DP83815/6 chips, handling by either "natsemi" or "fa311"
>>>drivers, not "sis900" driver...
>>>

>>sis900 and natsemi are similar, probably both could be handled with one
>>driver.
>>e.g. freebsd has one driver for natsemi and sis900.
>>
>>But I'm not a big fan of huge drivers that handle multiple 99%
>>compatible controllers and always break for one controller if you try to
>>fix another controller, so I won't try to merge them.
>>

> So you would have preferred, for example, to have dozens of different
> drivers for SYM53C8XX chips and probably as many for Adaptec aic7xxx ones.
> And, probably, one set of different drivers per O/S. And why not one set
> per O/S major version and even per adjacent ones of the same O/S.
>
> Given all the different brands that use similar or compatibles chips, the
> way you want drivers to be developped and maintained looks just
> unrealistic to me.

Jeff has intimate knowledge of the Tulip driver, one of the more complex
drivers that supports a bazillion different cards. And also one of the hardest
to get (and keep) working on all of the devices it seems....

I think he has a very valid point....

Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com