    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]
    On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 05:45:45PM +0100, Tim Jansen wrote:
    > On Sunday 04 November 2001 16:33, you wrote:
    > > Maintaining the current /proc files is very simple, and it offers the
    > > system administrator a lot of functionality that isn't reasonable to take
    > > away now.
    > > * They should stay in a form close to the current one *
    > I doubt that it is worthwhile to keep them in the current form for any other
    > reason than compatibility (with existing software and people's habits).

    It's an essential feature for *many* sysadmins. It's just so *easy* to hack
    up a script to act on the information in some file - or to take a look with
    "cat" to see how you RAID resync is coming along.

    > It doesn't make sense to describe things in 200 different formats, you won't
    > help anybody with that. It also violates the good old principle of keeping
    > policy out of the kernel. And, for me, layout is clearly policy.

    User-readable, and machine-readable. I think that covers everything. And
    that's two formats.

    Where's the policy ? The only policy I see is the text-mode GUI in the
    existing proc interface - and that is one place where I actually *like* the
    policy as a user (sysadmin), but hate it as an application programmer.

    > The reason for proc's popularity is clearly that you can use any tool, from
    > cat over more/less to the text editor of choice, and read the files.

    That's the reason why I want to keep the old proc files.

    > There
    > should be ways to achieve this without putting things into the kernel. Is
    > there is a way to implement a filesystem in user-space? What you could do is
    > to export the raw data using single-value-files, XML or whatever and then
    > provide an emulation of the old /proc files and possibly new ones in user
    > space. This could be as simple as writing a shell-script for each emulated
    > file.

    You're proposing a replacement of /proc ?

    My proposal was at least intended to be very simple and non-intrusive.

    : : And I see the elder races, :
    :.........................: putrid forms of man :
    : Jakob Østergaard : See him rise and claim the earth, :
    : OZ9ABN : his downfall is at hand. :

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.025 / U:38.204 seconds]