    SubjectRe: Linux/Pro [was Re: Coding style - a non-issue]
    On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 05:13:38PM -0800, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > > On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > Wait a minute.
    > > Wasn't it you that were screaming against Sun, leaving their team because
    > > their SMP decisions about scaling sucked, because their OS was bloated
    > > like hell with sync spinlocks, saying that they tried to make it scale but
    > > they failed miserably ?
    >
    > Yup, that's me, guilty on all charges.
    >
    > > What is changed now to make Solaris, a fairly vanishing OS, to be the
    > > reference OS/devmodel for every kernel developer ?
    >
    > It's not. I never said that we should solve the same problems the same
    > way that Sun did, go back and read the posting.

    This is your quote Larry :

    <>
    If you want to try and make Linux people work like Sun people, I think
    that's going to be tough. First of all, Sun has a pretty small kernel
    group, they work closely with each other, and they are full time,
    highly paid, professionals working with a culture that is intolerant of
    anything but the best. It's a cool place to be, to learn, but I think
    it is virtually impossible to replicate in a distributed team, with way
    more people, who are not paid the same or working in the same way.
    <>

    So, if these guys are smart, work hard and are professionals, why did they
    take bad design decisions ?
    Why didn't they implemented different solutions like, let's say "multiple
    independent OSs running on clusters of 4 CPUs" ?
    What we really have to like about Sun ?
    Me personally, if I've to choose, I'll take the logo.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.024 / U:59.812 seconds]