    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > We could definitely use a ton more comments... patches accepted.

    I've actually thought of doing just that. :)

    Alas, I'm too busy coding other things right now, so kernel stuff
    (unless I need something to make the other project I'm working on
    work/work better) will just have to wait. Hell, I'm even behind 2 or 3
    kernel versions on the documentation I've been putting on my web site.

    > > - Opening curly braces at the end of a the first line of a large code
    > > block making it extremely difficult to find where the code block begins
    > > or ends.
    > use a decent editor

    A person shouldn't _need_ a decent editor to pick out the beginning/end
    of a code block (or anything else for that matter). The problem is
    exacerbated when such a block contains other blocks and quickly picking
    out where each begins/ends becomes tiresome. I _do_ have excellent
    editors, IDEs, and source code browsers and have used many different
    kinds in many different jobs. They still can not replace what the human
    eye and mind perceive.

    > > - Short variable/function names that someone thinks is descriptive but
    > > really isn't.
    > not all variable names need their purpose obvious to complete newbies.
    > sometimes it takes time to understand the code's purpose, in which case
    > the variable names become incredibly descriptive.

    It should not take "time" to discover the purpose of _any_ variable or
    function, or file, whether newbie or not. The point of coding is to
    solve a problem, not perform an excersise in deductive or logical
    reasoning before the problem (which usually involves further logical
    reasoning) can be solved.

    Paul G. Allen
    UNIX Admin II ('til Dec. 3)/FlUnKy At LaRgE (forever!)
    Akamai Technologies, Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.021 / U:16.560 seconds]