SubjectRe: Generating a function call trace
Davide Libenzi wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Brian Gerst wrote:
>
> > Davide Libenzi wrote:

> > > gcc has builtin macros to trace back or ( on x86 ) you can simply chain
> > > through %esp/%ebp
> >
> > That only works if you compile with frame pointers, which the kernel
> > turns off for performance reasons (due to register pressure on the x86).
>
> I thought it was a general question not a kernel code one.
> Sure -fomit-frame-pointer is on inside the kernel.

With the , well exception, of the scheduler, which does the task
switching by
overwriting his own return address on the stack by the address of the
next jump point in a process, and needs the frame
pointer therefore ;-).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.046 / U:2.556 seconds]