    SubjectRe: RFC: ethernet links should remember routes the same as addresses
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > "Christopher Friesen" <> writes:
    > > Currently, if I run "ip link set dev ethX down", all routes associated with that
    > > IP address in the additional routing tables are lost. This is somewhat
    > > understandable, as the addresses are not actually available anymore. However,
    > > the addresses are still visible associated with the link. Then I run "ip link
    > > set dev ethX up". The route in the main routing table comes back, but none of
    > > the other routes do. Somehow, all of those additional routes must be re-added.
    > ip route list dev device > BACKUP
    > while read i ; do ip route add $i ; done < BACKUP

    Unfortunately, this seems to only list the routes in the main routing table, and
    these routes are recreated automatically when I bring the link back up.

    The problem is that I have routes in multiple other routing tables, and they
    don't show up in this command. I assume I'd have to run a similar command for
    each routing table, which is kind of a pain.

    If the driver re-init is totally separate from the routing code, is there any
    real reason why shutting down the driver *should* remove all routes to that
    device? Maybe the simplest solution would be a new ioctl that would be a link
    *reset*...just down/up the link without affecting anything else....

    Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
    Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557
    3500 Carling Avenue | fax: (613) 765-2986
    Nepean, ON K2H 8E9 Canada | email:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:92.632 seconds]