SubjectRe: [patch] sched_[set|get]_affinity() syscall, 2.4.15-pre9
Joe Korty <l-k@mindspring.com> writes:

> I have not yet seen the patch, but one nice feature that a system call
> interface
> could provide is the ability to *atomically* change the cpu affinities of
> sets of
> processes

Could you quickly explain an use case where it makes a difference if
CPU affinity settings for multiple processes are done atomically or not ?

The only way to make CPU affinity settings of processes really atomically
without a "consolidation window" is to
do them before the process starts up. This is easy when they're inherited --
just set them for the parent before starting the other processes. This
works with any interface; proc based or not as long as it inherits.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.060 / U:0.408 seconds]