SubjectRe: Kernel Releases
> On Monday 26 November 2001 16:45, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > > The only way we can get good testing for new kernels is to stop using
> > > -preN prefix in development branch (2.5.x). Just increment that 'x'.
> >
> > That won't change anything except the number on the kernel. The people
> > who you're trying to turn into bleeding edge testers (those who stay a
> > little behind [bignum]) will continue to ride the curve at the point of
> > their choosing.
>
> Yes, but they can't tell which 2.5.x is more stable just from version number.
> This way Linus will get better test coverage in 2.5.x.
>
> Those who need stability can read lkml and figure out which 2.5.x was
> 'glitchless' :-) or stick with 2.4.x

Agreed. 2.5.x should not use -pre. Just increment X.

2.4.x should continue to use -preY.
There's no need for a -rcY as some have suggested.
All we need to do to avoid messes like the 2.4.15 debacle
is to insist that a 2.4.X-preY should not be
released as final 2.4.X until the pre's been out for a week,
and there should never be any changes introduced into a final
that didn't cook for a week as a pre. Marcello, what say ye?

That should give enough time for everyone to
find bugs and yell.
- Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.062 / U:10.940 seconds]