SubjectRE: kupdated high load with heavy disk I/O
Date
Ken,

The 2.4.15pre7 kernel seems to have fixed my issue with kupdated and 4GB
RAM. We did some testing over the weekend and the box was still interactive
with a load of 7+. There still seems to be a lot of swapping going on
though. I've read from previous threads that 2.4 uses swap more readily
than 2.2 did, but should it use 10% of my swap and have almost 8MB
SwapCached?

Here are some numbers for example:

[root@mybox ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 4092899328 4082126848 10772480 0 12406784 3672317952
Swap: 542826496 57561088 485265408
MemTotal: 3996972 kB
MemFree: 10520 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 12116 kB
Cached: 3578108 kB
SwapCached: 8140 kB
Active: 2964668 kB
Inactive: 877168 kB
HighTotal: 3145720 kB
HighFree: 2084 kB
LowTotal: 851252 kB
LowFree: 8436 kB
SwapTotal: 530104 kB
SwapFree: 473892 kB
[root@mybox ~]# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3996972 3986640 10332 0 12156 3577900
-/+ buffers/cache: 396584 3600388
Swap: 530104 56340 473764

The above question is more for my personal knowledge, but I would like to
know.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Andy.