SubjectRe: 2.4.15-pre1: "bogus" message with reiserfs root and other weirdness
From
In article <E166e8A-0000t2-00@mrvdom02.schlund.de> linux-kernel@borntraeger.net wrote:
| > > Machine booted ok and everything seemed to be ok, but i noticed a few
| > > weird messages in boot messages right before mounting the root-partition:
| > > FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
| > > FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
| > When the kernel is booting, it doesn't know the filesystem type of the
| > root fs, so it tries to mount the root device using all of the compiled-in
| > fs drivers, in the order they are listed in fs/Makefile.in.
| > It appears that the fat driver doesn't even check for a magic when it
| > starts trying to mount the filesystem, so it proceeds directly to
|
| To be complete we should also apply this patch.

To be totally honest I think this is the wrong way to go. Like masking
the symptoms instead of treating the disease. The problem is that the
FAT driver seems to not check f/s type before claiming a f/s as its own.
The better solution is to put in a check before going forward with using
the f/s as FAT.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
His first management concern is not solving the problem, but covering