    SubjectRe: Unresponiveness of 2.4.16
    I'm running 2.4.16 with 2 IDE UDMA mode 4 drives, and I have experienced
    no such pausing no matter what I do. (which usually includes patching,
    extracting, and generally messing with kernels from Eterm with XMMS
    playing, and a couple mozillas open)

    Nathan G. Grennan wrote:

    >2.4.16 becomes very unresponsive for 30 seconds or so at a time during
    >large unarchiving of tarballs, like tar -zxf mozilla-src.tar.gz. The
    >file is about 36mb. I run top in one window, run free repeatedly in
    >another window and run the tar -zxf in a third window. I had many
    >suspects, but still not sure what it is. I have tried
    >
    >ext2 vs ext3
    >preemptive vs non-preemptive
    >tainted vs non-tainted
    >
    >Nothing seems to help 2.4.16.
    >
    >I tried switching to Redhat's 2.4.9-13 kernel and it acts Alot better.
    >Not only does 2.4.9-13 not get the 30 second delay, but it also seems to
    >take advantage of caching. 2.4.16 takes the same moment of time each
    >time, even tho it should have cached it all into memory the first time.
    >2.4.9-13 takes a while the first time(without the 30 second new process
    >freezing), but then takes almost no time the times after that. One
    >interesting thing I noticed is that with and without preemptive a
    >already started mp3 playing had no disruption even during the 30 second
    >windows where any new commands would get stuck with 2.4.16. I am not
    >using custom
    >
    >I plan to do more testing to see how say 2.4.9, 2.4.13ac7, etc.
    >
    >Any ideas of how to fix this for 2.4.16?
    >
    >I have attached my .config.
    >
    >My system:
    >
    >Redhat 7.2 with all updates
    >
    >Athlon Thunderbird 1.33ghz
    >768mb(512mb, 256mb) PC133 SDRAM
    >Abit KT7A-RAID v1.0(KT133A chipset)
    > Bios 64
    > HPT370(bios v1.2.0604)
    > Primary Master Quantum Fireball AS40.0
    > Secondary Master IBM-DTLA-307045
    > VIA686B
    > Primary Master CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD6240E
    > Secondary Master CR-2801TE

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:5.340 / U:0.508 seconds]