    SubjectRe: Severe Linux 2.4 kernel memory leakage
    Hi, It's almost nice to hear i am not the only person with this problem
    ;-)

    After reading your email, the common factors seem to be:

    - Dual P3 Setup (diff mobo, same intel chipset?)
    - Software Raid
    - Mixed IDE / SCSI
    - Internal Adaptec AHA-29xx
    (i have the 80mb, you the 160mb version)
    - Multiple network cards
    - Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100
    - ECC checking ram

    Since you don't use weird routes, nor iptables, i think it's posible to
    assume these do not cause the problem. Also since you do not have the
    problem under 2.4.9 (ditto for me if i remeber correctly), it is safe to
    assume the bug was introduced in kernel 2.4.10 or up.

    ps, the reason why i imidiatly switched to 2.4.11 (and up) and not have
    a lot of experiance with 2.4.9 is because my dell servers with adaptect
    hardware raid are a LOT (> 100%) faster under those newer kernels.
    Somehow a block layer change in that kernel speeded up the dells a lot..
    and since i love consitent kernel versions accross all my machines, i
    upgraded my own boxes as well.

    -- Chris

    On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 16:27, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > "A month of sundays ago Chris Chabot wrote:"
    > > The box has ran Redhat 7.1 and 7.2, with plain vanilla linux kernels
    > > 2.4.9 upto 2.4.15, in all situations the same problem appeared.
    > >
    > > The problem is that when the box boots up, it uses about 60Mb of memory.
    > > However after only 1 1/2 days, the memory usage is already around 430Mb
    > > (!!). (this is ofcource used - buffers - cache, as displayed by 'free').
    >
    > I also have this problem. Unknown circumstances provoke it. Kernel
    > 2.4.9 to 2.4.13. When it occurs I lose about 30MB a day.
    >
    > Dual 500MHz i686, 4 scsi disks (adaptec) under raid5 and raid0
    > with 2 intelpro's and 1 IDE disk (and xfs and lvm).
    >
    > Right now I'm on 2.4.9 and it's NOT happening. Doing nothing different
    > to any other day.
    >
    > > When the box keeps on running for about a month, the memory usage gets
    > > so high that it turns into a swap-crazy, low-memory and slow server ;-/
    > > (it does free up cache memory, and swaps stuff out, however the 'leaked'
    > > memory only grows and is never re-claimed).
    >
    > Same.
    >
    > > The box runs dhcpd, bind, fetchmail (cron), pppd (to adsl modem), smb,
    > > nfs, xinetd (imapd mostly) and sshd.
    >
    > Only thing in common with me is nfs. Running X 4.1. glibc 2.1.
    >
    > > based routing) for my cable modem & adsl modem. Also it has a 310Gb raid
    > > 0 array on 4 IDE disks.
    >
    > Could be.
    >
    > > The hardware on the box is : Asus p2b-ds, 2x p3-600, 1Gb (ECC) ram, 3
    >
    > My mobo is whatever came from dell, and you also are running 2xP3. My
    > ram is also ECC but there's only 128MB of it.
    >
    > > network cards (1x Intel EtherExpressPro, 2x 3c905 tx), Internal adaptect
    >
    > I have 2 network cards, both EEPRO.
    >
    > > 29xx u2w scsi, internal intel IDE, 2x Seagate Cheetah (u2w) 18 Gb disks
    >
    > Yep, I have internal adaptec too. Aic7xxx running ultra 160 at 20MHz
    > on terminated cable.
    >
    > Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 6.2.1
    > aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs
    >
    > 4 WD disks:
    >
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: WDIGTL Model: WDE9100 ULTRA2 Rev: 1.21
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: WDIGTL Model: WDE9100 ULTRA2 Rev: 1.21
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: WDIGTL Model: WDE9100 ULTRA2 Rev: 1.21
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: WDIGTL Model: WDE9100 ULTRA2 Rev: 1.21
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    >
    > > (/ and /var), 4x 80 Gb Maxtor IDE disks (raid 0 array) and a NVidia TNT2
    > > card. This hardware
    >
    > Umm .. I think I run ati rage, external card, though there is one on
    > the mobo.
    >
    > (--) PCI:*(0:16:0) ATI Mach64 GU rev 154, Mem @ 0xf5000000/24,
    > 0xfe201000/12, I/O @ 0xd400/8
    > (--) PCI: (1:0:0) ATI Mach64 GW rev 122, Mem @ 0xfc000000/24,
    > 0xfbfff000/12, I/O @ 0xec00/8

> [...]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.029 / U:0.908 seconds]