    SubjectRe: Network hardware: "Network Media Detection"
    john slee wrote:

    > On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:47:04PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > > I was wondering if there was any way in linux to use what redmond calls
    > > > "Network Media Detection"?
    > > This is basically taking the interface down when the link disappears
    > > (and vice versa.) Rather useful for portable systems. Don't think
    > > anyone has implemented it, but it should be easy enough to do.
    >
    > is there a common field in net_device{} for link state (not just up or
    > down, but media type too)?
    >
    > all the various ethernet drivers seem to handle link changes rather
    > differently. being able to notify userspace of media changes in a
    > not-driver-specific manner would be nice as links flapping from 10 to
    > 100Mbps and back often means problems are afoot.
    >
    > also i am undecided on _how_ to tell userspace about it... the current
    > hotplug system only seems to handle plug/unplug, whereas this is a
    > device state change and as such doesn't really fit the mould...

    Functions provided by kernel that net drivers should be using:
    netif_carrier_on
    netif_carrier_off
    netif_carrier_ok

    ioctl that should be handled by net drivers, to provide link status to
    userspace:
    ETHTOOL_GLINK

    Long term, we want to send a netlink message when link status changes.

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
    Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.