    SubjectRe: Journaling pointless with today's hard disks?
    > "Power off during write operations may make an incomplete sector which
    > will report hard data error when read. The sector can be recovered by a
    > rewrite operation."

    So the proper defect management would be to simply initialize the broken
    sector once a fsck hits it (still, I've never seen disks develop so many
    bad blocks so quickly as those failed DTLA-307045 drives I had).

    Note, the specifications say that the write cache setting is ignored
    when the drive runs out of spare blocks for reassignment after defects
    (so that the drive can return the error code right away when it cannot
    guarantee the write actually goes to disk).

    --
    Matthias Andree

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin