    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.16-pre1
    On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 05:07:01PM -0500, Patrick McFarland wrote:
    > Then quit being maintainer.

    I for one believe that Linus was the best person to lead Linux
    through the 2.4 series stabilization. It was bumpy, but who else
    could have pulled off the rather deep changes that put 2.4 on firmer
    footing? On the down side, he released some kernels with small but
    annoying bugs. A small price, in my estimation. Hardly grounds for
    disqualification.

    If this is such a concern for you, form a post-Linus QA group that
    certifies Linus kernels after testing them and applying small
    bug-fixes. Then, you get the benefits of Linus's judgement without
    the brown paper bags. Sounds like a win all around.

    If you want to knock Linus[1], I hope you can do better than
    complaining about a few bugs. Demonstrate that Linux would be
    better off long-term if Linus had dropped 2.4 after 2.4.0. I
    strongly doubt you can make that case.

    Andrew

    [1] Not that it matters in the end, because it's his kernel. But at
    least you should make a respectable argument.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.027 / U:30.384 seconds]