SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.16-pre1
From
On Sunday, November 25, 2001, at 08:33 , Patrick McFarland wrote:

> No, you are. Sorry to say that but you are. Im probably maybe one of 10
> people on

I know I am. No new news here. =)

> this whole planet that would like to see the kernel become more than it
> is, and would actually help doing it. Obviously, the whole damn
> community is having problems with me disagreeing with it, so screw it.
> You guys blew it.

Well, the fact that you lashed out saying Linus shouldn't be maintainer
for 2.5 is just completely ludicrous.

For one, it's the developmental tree. There's nothing to maintain. No
one should be using it on productions boxes. No distribution should be
including it with any of their released product.

Second, where do you draw the line between development and maintenance
on a dev tree?
def. maintenance: The work of keeping something in proper
condition; upkeep.

* Linus develops new driver model.
* Linus updates basic drivers to work with new driver model so
kernel can at least compile so he can see if driver model is good.
*slap on Linus' wrist* You're not supposed to be doing maintenance.

I also don't see how you propose that these two tasks be split up for
2.5. You don't provide any backing and you're surprised the whole group
is disagreeing with you?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
mhaque@haque.net

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Developer/Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://www.themes.org/
batmanppc@themes.org