lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2001]   [Nov]   [25]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: IDE: 2.2.19+IDE patches works fine; 2.4.x fails miserably; please help me figure out why!
OK, so I opened up my case.  I cleaned everything out with compressed
air. I unplugged the two IDE cables connecting my drives to my Promise
Ultra66 controller. I replaced them with brand new Maxtor ATA/100
cables I just bought today. In the process, I discovered that one of
the two old cables was reversed, i.e., the end that was supposed to be
connected to the controller was connected to the drive instead but this
does not seem to have been the problem. I closed up the computer,
powered it up, booted 2.4.16-pre1, and did some disk-intensive stuff on
my hde drive. It's still barfing:

hde: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide2: reset: success
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hde: dma_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide2: reset: success
hde: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hde: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hde: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hdg: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hdg: status error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hdg: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hdg: status error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hdg: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hdg: status error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hdg: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hdg: status error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hdg: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
ide3: reset: success
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hdg: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hdg: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hdg: drive not ready for command
hdg: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hdg: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hdg: drive not ready for command
hdg: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hde: drive not ready for command

I set multcount to 0 and the problems persist, just as they did with
the old cables.

This clearly isn't a problem with my cables (and I've just wasted over
$40 to prove it, unless I can convince Staples to take back the opened
cables).

If it's a problem with my drives, then how is it that I don't have any
problems at all when I run 2.2.19+IDE on exactly the same hardware?
And isn't it a mighty big coincidence that *both* of the drives on
this controller are having problems?

Someone asked me in E-mail to post details about the IDE controller
that's having the problems. Here's /proc/ide/pdc202xx:

PDC20262 Chipset.
------------------------------- General Status ---------------------------------
Burst Mode : enabled
Host Mode : Normal
Bus Clocking : 33 PCI Internal
IO pad select : 10 mA
Status Polling Period : 15
Interrupt Check Status Polling Delay : 13
--------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel -------------
enabled enabled
66 Clocking enabled enabled
Mode PCI Mode PCI
FIFO Empty FIFO Empty
--------------- drive0 --------- drive1 -------- drive0 ---------- drive1 ------
DMA enabled: no yes no yes
DMA Mode: UDMA 4 NOTSET UDMA 4 NOTSET
PIO Mode: PIO 4 NOTSET PIO 4 NOTSET
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.037 / U:1.664 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site