    SubjectRe: Tuning Linux for high-speed disk subsystems
    > Re: Tuning Linux for high-speed disk subsystems
    >

    > > As I count your disks may be the double for the best case. I read here on
    > > LKML a post that someone claims that W2k deliever 250 MB/s with such a
    > > configuration. Linux 2.4 should do the same. Ask the SCSI gurus.
    > >

    > That may have been my post you refer to. With 2x5 disks, each capable of
    > 50 MB/s by itself, we can stream 255 MB/s very smoothly in either direction
    > with W2K --- as long as FILE_FLAG_NOBUFFER is used. With standard
    > reads the number is more like 100 MB/s if I recall correctly, so the buffer
    > cache can definitely get in the way.
    >
    > With Linux + XFS I was getting 250 MB/s read and 220 MB/s write (with a
    > bit less smoothness than W2K) using O_DIRECT and no high mem to avoid
    > bounce buffer copies. Using standard reads the numbers drop to around
    > 120 MB/s. That was a couple of weeks ago and I want to try tweaking some
    > more but a co-worker has "borrowed" pieces of the hardware for the moment.

    Marvin,

    could you elaborate a bit more :-), or point me/us to your post
    (couldn't find it). We are currently evaluating solutions for doing HDTV
    playback for one of our customers. This will need about 300-320 MB/sec
    read. We know (at least someone claims so) that you can do it with SGI
    equipment at a price. The goal for the customer is to definitely beat
    that price :-))

    Martin