SubjectRe: File size limit exceeded with mkfs
Horst von Brand wrote:
> This kind of differences (direct root login vs su) usualy are due to
> different environment variable settings.

Not in this case, it is because after 'su -' userland tries to
set the RLIMIT_FSIZE to unlimited with with the constant
0x7fffffff which is different from the one kernel uses internal
0xffffffff (see http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0111.1/0036.html and all next messages).

If this is more a gnulib or kernel mistake ? I don't know, but
the kernel uses sys_old_getrlimit and gives 0x7fffffff back to userland.

I think in this case the kernel should do the same in the other direction
(leafing a hole form 0x7fffffff to 0xffffffff where you could not set
the FSIZE).

Cheers,
Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.017 / U:0.612 seconds]