SubjectRe: Linux FSCP (Frequently Submitted Compilation Problems)? (was: Re: Loop.c File !!!!)
Date
"Stuart Young" <sgy@amc.com.au> wrote in message
> At 10:10 AM 21/11/01 +0100, Rob Turk wrote:
> >Good suggestion. Unfortunately, many people obviously do not take the time
> >to read the newsgroup before they post, so what do you propose will be the
> >mechanism to encourage them to lookup existing issues?
>
> Why not do it like the current Changelog, put it in the kernel repository,
> and make sure it hits all the mirrors. A little selective advertising (eg:
> someone mention it on slashdot, newsforge, debianplanet, etc), and people
> will start using it. Just suffix the file with the version number, just
> like the Changelog. Because the file will be small, it's possible that some
> mirrors will get quick updates before they get the kernel itself. This
> covers all the version specific problems at least.
>

> Stuart Young - sgy@amc.com.au
> (aka Cefiar) - cefiar1@optushome.com.au

Most of the people which post without reading previous entries in the newsgroup
will also not read FRB (Frequently Reported Bugs) files. I actually got a great
suggestion in from Martin Bene. He suggests putting a last line in the build
process which always shows up if a failure occurs during kernel compiles.
Something along the lines of 'Your kernel failed to build. Check
www.where-ever-the-buglist-is.org for known issues with your kernel. Post your
problem on the kernel list if this is not a FRB'. Is this something that can be
done easily?

As a suggestion for such a web site, it would probably help if people who see
'their' bug present could file a description under the frb on such a web site,
to help developers figure out how many people are impacted and maybe to
correlate the circumstances.

Rob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.086 / U:0.436 seconds]