SubjectRe: Linux FSCP (Frequently Submitted Compilation Problems)? (was: Re: Loop.c File !!!!)
On Nov 23, 2001  11:03 +1100, Stuart Young wrote:
> >Something along the lines of 'Your kernel failed to build. Check
> >www.where-ever-the-buglist-is.org for known issues with your kernel. Post
> >your problem on the kernel list if this is not a FRB'. Is this something
> >that can be done easily?
>
> At the bottom of the file, have ANOTHER link to a generic FAQ about
> compilation problems (which covers all the major things like forgetting to
> install an assembler, the broken old build stuff, 'make dep' before
> compiling modules, etc). The FAQ could be on the kernel mirrors as well
> (and I don't see why not, as this is all kernel related, and definitely a
> resource that needs to be in more than one place).

Yes!!!! Anything to reduce the number of repeat problems reported is
good in my books. It might also hold a pointer to Linus' (or Marcello's)
-pre patch area, with a warning that they are not for everyone.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger