SubjectRe: Swap
Date
> Christopher Friesen wrote:

> > > It can't. That's the reason for `install` and other methods of changing
> > > execututable files (mv exe-file exe-file.old ; cp newfile exe-file).
> > > The currently open, and possibly mapped file can be re-named, but it
> > > can't be overwritten.
> >
> > Actually, with NFS (and probably others) it can. Suppose I change the file on
> > the server, and it's swapped out on a client that has it mounted. When it swaps
> > back in, it can get the new information.
> >

> This sounds really dangerous... What about shared libraries ??

Same problem. This is why most Unix distros tell you to reboot after each
patch applied and each OS upgrade. just to be sure that all mmapped files and
page-demand loaded bins are all restarted.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam
High Performance Computing Tel. +31 20 592 8008 Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.097 / U:6.384 seconds]