    SubjectRe: A return to PCI ordering problems...
    Dale Amon wrote:

    > On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:27:37PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > > Why must the motherboard be set to eth0? Why not just configure it as it
    > > gets detected?
    >
    > There are a couple reasons. One that is specific to this
    > particular case is that the VeryExpensiveProprietaryPackage
    > someone bought checks the eth0 MAC address to be sure you
    > haven't moved it. It would not really be smart to license
    > it against a removable, swappable PCI card.

    Such a licencing scheme isn't very smart on a os where
    the kernel source is available anyway.

    It is trivial for a programmer to change what MAC address
    (or _anything else_ the os reports about hardware,
    simply by altering the system call. There happens
    to be tools for changing the MAC address, but
    event that isn't necessary - anything can be worked
    around in the source. So, a criminal can run
    such a package on any number of machines because they
    may all appear to have the same MAC address to the
    checking program. I have heard of people writing
    emulators for parallell port dongles too.

    Of course most people obey the law, but some still need
    such tricks so they can work around broken licencing
    schemes that prevent _legal_ use, and avoid dongles
    that mess up communication with newer devices.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:90.472 seconds]