    SubjectRe: Spawning kernel threads from other kernel threads(?)
    >>and BTW what is an "?entity?" ?

    Oops. Excuse my ambiguity. When I said "entity" I was describing the design in
    a very general form. Let me phrase it like this; my software in theory looks
    like:

    - a manager "entity" is responsible for destroying and creating "worker"
    threads.
    - the worker threads then perform a specific tasks.

    That's theory though. The implementation actually looks like:

    A linux kernel thread has the responsibility of creating and killing threads
    (thus
    termed "manager").
    The worker threads (also kernel threads) perform specific tasks.

    >>2.4.3 is awfully stale for starters -

    Yup. This is not by choice :-) The hardware/OS is pretty much fixed at this
    point.

    Would spawning a kernel thread from a kernel thread work with a recent kernel?

    >>cu

    >>jjs

    > Question:
    > Can you spawn a kernel thread from another kernel thread? I want to
    > have one manager ?entity? which will dynamically create kernel threads as
    > needed. Right now, when I try to spawn another thread from the manager
    ?entity?
    > [as of today, still a kernel thread] it will crash. Is this legal? If not,
    what
    > is the alternative?
    >
    > kernel_thread()
    > Kernel Version 2.4.3

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:4.798 / U:0.016 seconds]