SubjectRe: ECS k7s5a motherboard doesnt work
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Justin Mierta wrote:

> >>9) *new* - the machine is not overheating, the hottest spot is at a cool
> >>57 C
> >>
> >57C is hardly cool, though it shouldn't cause problems.
> >
> last i saw, amd rates these chips at 95C, so 57 is downright chilly :)

yup, but see the cooler man (if it has one). Some of them are rated for
< 70C - above that they stop and melt (in whatever order).

> i'm not sure how to check, and i have a very difficult time even getting
> to a shell in linux, because the damn thing keeps dma erroring about
> reading the cd's. is there some boot-up settings i can feed it so it
> wont try using dma at all?

see Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:

ide0=nodma ide1=nodma

should do.

The following is on my K7S5A (no onboard eth):

# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.53 seconds =241.51 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.82 seconds = 35.16 MB/sec

kernel is 2.2.19-xxx from RH, but when I tested it performed the same
under 2.4.x. Its uptime is only 9 days, but no problems so far. It's
a NFS, samba, SMTP, IMAP, HTTP server, not heavily loaded.

> >>at this point, i'm tending to think that there's several versions of
> >>sis735 floating around (similar to the maneuver that ensoniq pulled with
> >>their sound cards) -- possibly even within the revisions of the k7s5a
> >>motherboard itself.

Mine doesn't have an eth on board. Have you tried and disabled it?

.TM.
--
/ / / Marco Colombo