SubjectRe: File server FS?
On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:12:53PM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > > * Resizing - See last point
> > There are two utilities to resize ext2, which ext3 is except for an
> > additional file (journal) after umount.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Does the size of the "appropriately sized journal (given the size
> of the filesystem)" vary with filesystem size?

Journal size has more to do with activity when you are in data journaling
mode. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to fill a 32MB journal with
meta-data.

> 2. If so, does resize2fs change the journal size properly?

As long as resize2fs doesn't change the inode of the journal file you should
be fine.

> When I have resized ext3 filesystems, I have removed then recreated the
> journal manually because it wasn't clear from the documentation whether
> resize2fs does the appropriate thing.

I haven't actually resized any ext2/3 partitions. Didn't need to. I'll do
some tests though.

Andrew, Andreas, any official comments?

Mike

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans