    SubjectRe: File server FS?
    On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:12:53PM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > > > * Resizing - See last point
    > >
    > > There are two utilities to resize ext2, which ext3 is except for an
    > > additional file (journal) after umount.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. Does the size of the "appropriately sized journal (given the size
    > of the filesystem)" vary with filesystem size?

    Journal size has more to do with activity when you are in data journaling
    mode. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to fill a 32MB journal with
    meta-data.

    > 2. If so, does resize2fs change the journal size properly?

    As long as resize2fs doesn't change the inode of the journal file you should
    be fine.

    > When I have resized ext3 filesystems, I have removed then recreated the
    > journal manually because it wasn't clear from the documentation whether
    > resize2fs does the appropriate thing.

    I haven't actually resized any ext2/3 partitions. Didn't need to. I'll do
    some tests though.

    Andrew, Andreas, any official comments?

    Mike

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.025 / U:33.016 seconds]