    SubjectRe: [OT] Athlon SMP blues - SOLVED by gpm
    As the saying goes, "It's probably some little thing."

    It's always the little things that seem to bit you the hardest and where
    it most hurts. :)

    Alastair Stevens wrote:
    > > > I installed Red Hat 7.2 and the machine boots fine, using SMP or UP
    > > > kernels (Red Hat 2.4.9-7), but totally HANGS at the login prompt. Can't
    > > > type, can't reboot, can't do anything. Single user mode _does_ let me
    > > > in, however, and this is the only progress so far.
    > >
    > > Try plugging in a mouse or stop running gpm.
    > YES YES YES!!! This was it! After 24 hours of building 17 different
    > kernels, checking out every inch of my hardware, and trying to build
    > ramdisk images, it was the humble 'gpm' that caused my headaches!
    > There's no mouse on the machine. Thanks very much indeed, and boy have I
    > learned something now....
    > PS - thanks to all who sent in lots of ideas on this problem! It
    > actually turns out the machine is *not* overheating at all. The 76C BIOS
    > CPU temperature was erroneous, and in fact it's more like 42C now, which
    > is perfectly healthy of course ;-)
    > Cheers
    > Alastair

    Paul G. Allen
    UNIX Admin II/Network Security
    Akamai Technologies, Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:231.032 seconds]