    SubjectRe: synchronous mounts
    Hi,

    On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 12:03:57AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Linux is not syncing write() data for files on synchronously mounted
    > filesystems, and it isn't syncing write() data for ext2/3 files which
    > are operating under `chattr +S'.

    In the past, chattr +S and mount -o sync always resulted in sync
    metadata with no guarantees about data.

    I'm not sure this makes much sense, but it's what has always happened.
    For directories, the behaviour is fine, in particular as it gives us
    the same directory sync consistency semantics as synchronous BSD UFS.

    It's not clear to me that chattr/mount sync options make _any_ sense
    for regular file metadata. Rather than tightening up the semantics,
    I'd actually prefer to restrict them so that they only apply to
    directories. Users who set the sync bits are usually doing so for
    applications like MTAs where it's directory syncing which is
    what matters: the apps typically fsync the files themselves, anyway.

    > Really, generic_osync_inode() needs to be front-ended by
    > an inode_operations method.

    Yes.

    Cheers,
    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.034 / U:0.084 seconds]