SubjectRe: Athlon SMP blues - kernels 2.4.[9 13 15-pre4]
Alastair Stevens <alastair.stevens@mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Forgive me, but what does 'registered' strictly refer to? It is ECC RAM,
> in a single 512Mb module, but more than that, I don't know.

Registered RAM sticks look somewhat different from normal (ECC or not)
RAM sticks. They have a few more ICs on the stick, and are usually
bigger than their normal counterparts.

(The "register" bit refers to, I believe, those buffers on the
sticks.)

> But the key question is still this: is this purely a hardware issue? My
> understanding is that with recent 2.4 kernels, Athlon optimisations and
> AMD 760 issues are sorted - am I right?

If you compile a kernel without any Athlon optimizations, it should
work on the Tyan Tiger. Try that first, and then try out the
optimizations when you've got that working.