SubjectRe: fdutils.
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Horst von Brand wrote:

> > You only confirm what I wrote -- hardly anyone uses floppies, so there is
> > no need to keep mechanical compatibility in devices -- a complete dump of
> > 1.44" FD support would be almost harmless. Hence whether a Zip or a
> > LS-120 -- it doesn't really matter. You need new media anyway.
>
> "Hardly anyone" includes 100% of the people I know. Not exactly heavy use,
> mostly occasional transport of files and for emergency booting. Heck,
> _every_ machine I see around me here has a floppy drive, can't just throw
> that away because _you_ don't like it. The alternatives are extremely
> expensive and so rare as to be almost useless around here.

Hmm, I must have written it not clearly enough. Floppies are only used
because alternatives are rarely available and not because they are the
best invention ever. If you had an alternative widely available, you
wouldn't care if it accepted old floppies, would you?

Heck, I have a 5.25" floppy drive in one of my systems at home, yet I
don't complain no other system I have access to now accepts such media...
I know no one who does. Even though a few years ago this was the mostly
used removable medium.