    SubjectAthlon SMP blues - kernels 2.4.[9 13 15-pre4]
    Hi folks - I'm having real problems getting our new dual CPU server
    going. It's a 2x Athlon XP 1800+ on a Tyan mobo, AMD 760MP chipset, with
    an Adaptec SCSI controller and 512Mb DDR SDRAM. I'm not a Linux newbie
    at all, but I've never tried running it on such exotic hardware before,
    and it doesn't seem happy....

    I installed Red Hat 7.2 and the machine boots fine, using SMP or UP
    kernels (Red Hat 2.4.9-7), but totally HANGS at the login prompt. Can't
    type, can't reboot, can't do anything. Single user mode _does_ let me
    in, however, and this is the only progress so far.

    I then tried building a custom 2.4.15-pre4 (on another machine), which
    compiled perfectly happily, and I installed this on the server. It
    panic'd due to failure to mount the root filesystem. I made an
    initrd.img, and it then got further (detecting and initialising the SCSI
    controller), but still panic'd with the same message.

    I then threw down the gauntlet and installed the rawhide Athlon
    SMP kernel (based on 2.4.13) which also booted fine but HUNG at the
    login prompt, as above. Finally, I tried the i686 version, which spewed
    out tons of error messages regarding "invalid symbols" in the ext3
    module.

    Either way, I'm stumped. Am I up against an Athlon / chipset problem
    here, or is something else wrong? What do I need to do to get my
    custom-built 2.4.15-pre4 rolling - why can't it mount the root
    partition?

    Cheers
    Alastair

    Alastair Stevens