    SubjectRe: linux readahead setting?
    On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:26:20PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 10:01:39PM +0100, Erik Tews wrote:
    > > Thanks, for all the answers via pm, but I would like to explain a litte
    > > bit more what I am looking for. I got this filesystem on lvm, and I want
    > > my harddisk if there a several processes accessing the disk-image to go
    > > to the position of process one, read 256k of data, go to the position of
    > > process two, read 256k of data, go again to the position of the nex
    > > process, read 256k of data and so one to minimize movement of the
    > > harddisk-readhead.
    > At which level do you want the read ahead?
    > If you read ahead at the block level, you may not get data for the file you
    > want because of fragmentation. This is especially true with long running
    > Reiser file systems.

    I think fragmentation will be no problem, because this filesystem
    contains only one file.

    Readahead should be done on filesystem or block-level. Not on disklevel.
    I can tune that with lvm, but I was not sure if a bigger readahead-value
    is that what I want.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.202 / U:0.012 seconds]