    SubjectRe: PATCH: scsi_scan.c: emulate windows behavior
    Hi Rob.

    > Getting more than 36 bytes should not be a problem for any device.
    > The root problem seems to be that 255 is an odd number. On
    > Wide-SCSI, a lot of devices have difficulty handling odd byte counts
    > as they have to use additional messaging to flag the residue in the
    > last 16-bit transfer. Also, the IDE-SCSI layer has trouble, as the
    > IDE spec doesn't allow odd byte transfers at all. I've experienced
    > issues with IDE devices that had to have their firmware patched just
    > to deal with the Linux odd-byte request.

    > Maybe a better change would be to use 64 or 128 byte requests. Your
    > thoughts?

    Probably the best option would be to tweak this to 256 if that is
    available, or 252 if not - I seem to remember there's at least one
    SCSI drive that can't handle other than multiples of 4 bytes.

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.020 / U:100.620 seconds]