SubjectRe: fdutils.
Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>

>>I believe both, but the important thing is that it's an ATAPI/SCSI
>>implementation, including a soft eject button, and not that horrible
>>legacy floppy crap.
>>

> Hmm, Sun used to have a software-controlled standard floppy drives years
> ago...

I'm not talking about Suns.

>>That wasn't what kept it from becoming standard, though. The marketing of
>>Zip was a bit too good, but Zip couldn't have displaced the legacy floppy,
>>since it wasn't compatible.
>>

> Based on local obervations hardly anyone uses floppies anymore... They
> are mostly used for system rescue purposes, where the kind of a device
> doesn't really matter.

... except that you no longer can fit a reasonable system rescue/install
setup on a floppy, so it *defintitely* matters. Also, the floppy device
is like a rash all over the hardware; it maintains a highly undesirable
legacy.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.084 / U:0.320 seconds]