SubjectRe: fdutils.
Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>Thankfully, the LS-120/LS-240 hardware is actually sane.
> Do you mean there is a SCSI version available or merely the ATAPI
> implementation is within the spec?

I believe both, but the important thing is that it's an ATAPI/SCSI
implementation, including a soft eject button, and not that horrible
legacy floppy crap.

>>Unfortunately the zip drive probably kept it from displacing legacy
>>floppies, at least in the short term.
> Unfortunately at the time I was interested in a removeable storage
> replacement technology, there was only SCSI Zip available -- no SCSI
> LS-120 drives. I might have not been the only one, so they got what they
> asked for.

That wasn't what kept it from becoming standard, though. The marketing of
Zip was a bit too good, but Zip couldn't have displaced the legacy floppy,
since it wasn't compatible.