    SubjectRe: fdutils.
    Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

    > On 13 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >>Thankfully, the LS-120/LS-240 hardware is actually sane.
    > Do you mean there is a SCSI version available or merely the ATAPI
    > implementation is within the spec?

    I believe both, but the important thing is that it's an ATAPI/SCSI
    implementation, including a soft eject button, and not that horrible
    legacy floppy crap.

    >>Unfortunately the zip drive probably kept it from displacing legacy
    >>floppies, at least in the short term.
    > Unfortunately at the time I was interested in a removeable storage
    > replacement technology, there was only SCSI Zip available -- no SCSI
    > LS-120 drives. I might have not been the only one, so they got what they
    > asked for.

    That wasn't what kept it from becoming standard, though. The marketing of
    Zip was a bit too good, but Zip couldn't have displaced the legacy floppy,
    since it wasn't compatible.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.030 / U:77.116 seconds]