    SubjectRe: Changed message for GPLONLY symbols

    --On Tuesday, November 13, 2001 1:50 PM +1100 Keith Owens <>

    > Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
    > and it has unresolved symbols. The module may be trying to access
    > GPLONLY symbols but the problem is more likely to be a coding or
    > user error. Contact the module supplier for assistance.
    > Does anyone think that this message can be misunderstood by anybody
    > with the "intelligence" of the normal Windoze user?

    Yes I think it can be misunderstood, and, perhaps more importantly, still
    points the user at GPLONLY when it's more likely to be a straightforward
    version mismatch. Better might be:

    Hint: You are trying to load a module which has unresolved symbols. These
    symbols may not be exported by this version of the kernel (perhaps
    you have a version mismatch), or they may be exported GPLONLY,
    (in which case they will not be available to your module which does
    not carry a GPL compatible license). In either case, contact
    the module supplier for assistance.

    Alex Bligh

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.023 / U:7.132 seconds]