SubjectOdd partition overlapping problem
Hi,
I have a dual-boot setup with win98 and linux. I primarily use linux, but
I want to keep windows around for some inportant productivity
applications, mostly games. My partition table is as follows:

<snip>
[root@localhost documents]# fdisk /dev/hda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 3736.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 3736 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 523 4200966 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2 524 525 16065 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 526 2647 17044965 83 Linux
/dev/hda4 2648 3736 8747392+ 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 2648 2713 530113+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hda6 2714 3736 8217216 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

Command (m for help):
</snip>

/dev/hda3 is my linux root partition (hda2 is /boot) and hda6 is D: in
windows. Somehow, that I can't figure out hda3 overlaps hda6. I see this
by writing some data to hda3, booting to windows and finding out that my
D: is no longer considered "formatted". If I format D: and boot back to
linux, some of my files that I just wrote are corrupted. Since fdisk shows
no overlap and there is tha swap partition between these two partitions, I
can't figure out how this happens (other than, that somewhere there is a
bug and these two partitions DO overlap) and more importantly, for me, how
to stop this from happening without reinstalling my whole system.

My question is, can anyone here give me any ideas of how to debug this
problem? I use Linux 2.4.14 and reiserfs on hda3. I partitioned the drive
with linux fdisk, since I don't trust dos fdisk. My fdisk version is
2.10s .

Please cc to me, I'm not on the list,

Robert Holmberg

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.115 / U:0.108 seconds]